A Not-So Review: A Good Girl's Guide to Murder

I speak on behalf of those who impulsively jumped into “The Good Girl’s Guide to Murder” without reading the novel first. 


I AM GUILTY AS CHARGED and sheepishly admit that I let the trailer I stumbled upon in my reels take advantage of my boredom, convincing me to watch it because the leads looked cute together.

Now, I’ve just finished the six-episode series.

It wasn’t what I was expecting. I felt dissatisfied, and I doubt that any potential sequel could compensate for the anticipation it falsely built up due to the hype from the trailers I got from the reelers. Still, I recognize that it was my own impulsiveness that led me to start watching without hesitation.

I managed to complete the UK series in less than a week. Although it’s a recent release and not yet available on other platforms, my resourcefulness allowed me to find high-quality copies of the series and download them for offline viewing. After work, I continued watching, not particularly invested, but curious about how the plot would unfold based on what I’d seen on Instagram.

The first episode was acceptable for someone like me who had no background or emotional attachment to the book. The lead character, Pip, whose face seemed familiar, turned out to be the blonde girl from the hit Netflix series “Wednesday.” However, as the series progressed, I found myself becoming less attached to her and the overall storyline. Her acting, along with that of her ‘partner’ Ravi, was mediocre. 


I wonder how my reaction might have differed if I had read the book. Despite occasional facial twitches, Pip remained emotionally distant. Even her British accent, which struck me as off from the beginning, failed to resonate with someone like me who isn’t well-versed in that accent. 


Then there’s Ravi. If the story didn’t require him to act and he could simply grace the whole series with his presence, he’d be just fine. However, that’s not the case. He appears awkward and unconvinced, and the chemistry I thought he had with Pip is actually absent. I couldn’t feel anything from his acting.

Right now, you might think this is just me ranting, and perhaps you’re right, but I can’t hide my disappointment. I’m not saying this is a bad series, but it certainly isn’t a good one either.

Let me highlight a few points:



First, how could Pip find it so easy to engage in conversations with the suspects? After all, it has been five years since the murder. Why did it take her only a few months to connect the dots that the police couldn’t piece together initially?

Moreover, why did the suspects readily confide in Pip, someone they barely knew personally? It’s surprising that they shared information without being overly cautious or suspicious during the interviews.

Then, Pip’s ability to gather evidence seems almost effortless. Whether it was sneaking into houses or attending the Calamity Party, she faced no significant obstacles. Her courage to challenge the police is commendable, but it’s hard to believe that solving a case from five years ago could be this straightforward.

Regarding Ravi, the younger brother of the suspected killer, Sal, I initially thought he would be a revelation when he first appeared on the show and interacted with Pip. His height and looks were eye-catching, reminiscent of characters from the YA books we read. However, despite having less screentime than other characters, he consistently fell short. His facial expressions lacked depth, and his overall demeanor felt lackluster. This wouldn’t have been an issue if he had less interaction with Pip, but it was puzzling to see him appear so laid-back, especially when Pip was already at the peak of her investigation.


“We’re a team,” they convinced each other, but for me, they were too far away from that. The series only showed Pip doing all the work, while the younger brother of the suspect was just there, being a muffin genius. I couldn’t even feel the drive, anger, and frustration from him after losing his brother. He only showed up when it wasn’t even needed. During the calamity party, he should have joined Pip there. I was furious that he made no contributions to Pip, especially considering he wasn’t fired up after losing Barney.

Barney, the sweet angel! How could someone kill a dog? I was truly fuming mad that anyone had the capacity to end the life of such an innocent dog.


In the series, the most surprising revelation came when we discovered, alongside the characters, that their English teacher (who happens to be Pip’s best friend’s father) was the one who murdered Sal. This unexpected twist kept me engaged. Despite having only six episodes, I wasn’t sure I’d make it through if the story unfolded predictably.

Another highlight for me was the
choice of songs. They fit perfectly and deserve a spot on my playlist. Each opening of a new episode is set against a bleak atmosphere, and whoever curated the music deserves kudos!


There, I felt a twinge of sadness knowing that I wouldn’t be able to write an extensive post about this series. The show has immense potential, fueled by the high expectations set by the acclaimed book. Nevertheless, it was a refreshing experience to watch something outside my usual preference, unlike the typical Asian dramas I usually gravitate toward.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nosi Nosi Balasi: A Tadbalik Chorus

Welcome to House of Memory!